Monday, October 22, 2007

I am 26 years old and...

So I am 26 but with the path I have chosen I feel like I am still 21. Still in school, still staying up to study into the ungodly hours of the night. (hmmm, what are ungodly hours anyway).

So what has changed about me...
I am closer to being a healer, ha! Actually closer to being able to tell people they are not well and why...when they already know.

I am also learning that doctors do not have the greatest deal in the world...insurance companies do. Insurance premiums go up, healthcare costs go up, doctors make the same amount they made 20 years ago but work harder. Not complaining since it's still a decent living...but mind you the cost of living has not been stagnant. Sometimes, when I am having a bad day, I think "Man! I should have gone to law school." But then I would not be "helping people, saving the world". Yeah, tell that to the mother who was miffed with me trying to find out why her son was sick.

She chewed me out for considering a diagnosis of a disease that she could possibly have in common with her son...

My response was " I understand your frustration, you are a doing what a parent should do"...(thinking "what the heck do I know about parenting")

Guilt...even when not warranted can do weird things to parents. I was not suggesting she was to blame but merely that he could have a greater risk for the disease. Anyway, that helped me decide not to be a pediatrician.

Other than that, life is good, I am happy ; )

No comments: