Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Aftershock...

So on Sunday, I had one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I am not one to regret things but this is something I wish had never happened. I put people's lives in danger and I destroyed other people's property.

I was driving on the highway after leaving the airport with my family. I was driving at 35 mph as there was traffic and a light coming up. The light turned green before I got to the traffic jam ahead and the traffic began to move when suddenly the car in front of me stopped. I slammed on the breaks but couldn't stop before I hit it.

I am told I said "oh God", I don't recall that though. I remember hearing a loud sound, and choking on powder from the airbags. After that I was in daze when my sister next to me said "My face, is my face ok?". I looked at her and said "yeah", noticing that her sunglasses no longer had lenses and I looked down and mine were in my hand. I don't know how they came off. I asked my mother and siblings in the back if they were fine and we got out of the car. Of course people were yelling for me to get the hell of the highway because from the back the car looked fine. The guy I hit came and and said he was trying to call the cops and I should try too. I went back in the car to look for my phone and I called the cops. For the life of me I could not tell them where I was.

Some people stopped to help and told the cops where we were. They still didn't come and my family was standing on the highway. Finally I called them again and reminded them where we were. A fire truck and an ambulance came to see if anyone was injured. I said I was fine eventhough my face hurt like hell.

Since everyone was fine, I was concerned about the man I had hit and the fact that the car I was driving was not mine. While I am being told I should be glad no one is hurt, I feel really bad that I wrecked someone's car.

Yes, I am grateful that we are all fine. However, I think this will overshadow everything else that will happen this summer or the rest of the year. Maybe I am being smallminded, but have you ever destroyed something you have no idea how to replace? I feel guilt for the pain, and concern I have caused others to have.

I have learned though that seatbelts do work, that whiplash is painful, that I need more than liability insurance for a car, and not to drive other people's cars no matter what they say. Yes we never know what can happen however, only lend what you can afford to lose and for most people a car is not that.

Anyway I thought I should document my first car accident and how awful I feel just in case I forget.

I really f-ed up this time.

No comments: